[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Cinder] Review days? (open to ANYBODY and EVERYBODY)

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Jun 13 03:46:41 UTC 2014

Hey Everyone,

So I've been noticing some issues with regards to reviews in Cinder lately,
namely we're not keeping up very well.  Most of this is a math problem
(submitters >> reviewers).  We're up around 200+ patches in the queue, and
a large number of them have no negative feedback but have just been waiting
patiently (some > 2 months).

Growth is good, new contributors are FANTASTIC... but stale submissions in
the queue are BAD, and I hate for people interested in contributing to
become discouraged and just go away (almost as much as I hate emails asking
me to review patches).

I'd like to propose we consider one or two review days a week for a while
to try and work on our backlog.  I'd like to propose that on these days we
make an attempt to NOT propose new code (or at least limit it to bug-fixes
[real bugs, not features disguised as bugs]) and have an agreement from
folks to focus on actually doing reviews and using IRC to collaborate
together and knock some of these out.

We did this sort of thing over a virtual meetup and it was really
effective, I'd like to see if we can't do something for a brief duration
over IRC.

I'm thinking we give it a test run, set aside a few hours next Wed morning
to start (coinciding with our Cinder weekly meeting since many folks around
that morning across TZ's etc) where we all dedicate some time prior to the
meeting to focus exclusively on helping each other get some reviews knocked
out.  As a reminder Cinder weekly meeting is 16:00 UTC.

Let me know what you all think, and keep in mind this is NOT limited to
just current regular "Block-Heads" but anybody in the OpenStack community
that's willing to help out and of course new reviewers are MORE than
welcome.

Thanks,
John