[openstack-dev] [Nova][QA] Disabling the v3 API tests in the gate

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jun 12 14:01:48 UTC 2014

On 6/12/2014 12:40 AM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org
> <mailto:mtreinish at kortar.org>> wrote:
>     Hi everyone,
>     As part of debugging all the bugs that have been plaguing the gate
>     the past
>     couple of weeks one of the things that came up is that we're still
>     running the
>     v3 API tests in the gate. AIUI at summit Nova decided that the v3
>     API test won't
>     exist as a separate major version. So I'm not sure there is much
>     value in
>     continuing to run the API tests.
> So the v3 API won't exist as a separate major version, but I think its
> very important we keep up with the tempest tests so we don't regress.
> Over time these v3 api features will either be ported to
> v2.1microversions (the vast majority I expect) or dropped. At that
> point  they'll be "moved" to tempest testing v2.1microversions.
>   But whatever we do we'll need to test against v2 (which we're stuck
> with for a very long time) and v2.1microversions (rolling possible
> backwards incompatible changes to the v2 api) for quite a while.
>     in motivator for doing this is the total run time of tempest, the v3
>     tests
>     add ~7-10min of time to the gating jobs right now. [1] (which is
>     just a time
>     test, not how it'll be implemented) While this doesn't seem like much it
>     actually would make a big difference in our total throughput. Every
>     little bit
>     counts. There are probably some other less quantifiable benefits to
>     removing the
>     extra testing like for example slightly decreasing the load on nova
>     in an
>     already stressed environment like the gating nodes.
>     So I'd like to propose that we disable running the v3 API tests in
>     the gate. I
>     was thinking we would keep the tests around in tree for as long as
>     there was
>     a v3 API in any supported nova branch, but instead of running them
>     in the gate
>     just have a nightly bit-rot job on the tests and also add it to the
>     experimental
>     queue.
> I'd really prefer we don't take this route, but its better than nothing.
> Incidentally the v3 tempest api tests have in the past found race
> conditions which did theoretically occur in the v2 api as well. Just the
> different architecture exposed them a bit better.
> Chris
> _______________________________________________
> OpenStack-dev mailing list
> OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev

I think it'd be OK to move them to the experimental queue and a periodic 
nightly job until the v2.1 stuff shakes out.  The v3 API is marked 
experimental right now so it seems fitting that it'd be running tests in 
the experimental queue until at least the spec is approved and 
microversioning starts happening in the code base.



Matt Riedemann

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list