[openstack-dev] [marconi] Reconsidering the unified API model

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 12:28:40 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 13:01 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>[...]
>>
>>There are 2 main reasons that I don't believe are strong enough to
>>change the way Marconi works right now:
>>
>>1. Being able to support technologies that many deployments have
>>already deployed. This will facilitate Marconi's adoption but it also
>>brings in Marconi's scaling capabilities to those environments.
>
>Is there somewhere I can read more about the mechanism behind those
>capabilities? (I.e. the mechanisms that Marconi implements independent
>of a given driver to allow scaling). Or can you describe it a little?

s/capabilities/capability/ :D

There are three things that I consider really valuable:

1. Sharding support: It allows admins to have separate clusters/nodes
of stores and configure marconi to use them all based on
pre-configured rules. It's similar to what qpid-dispatch does but the
supported rules in marconi are currently very limited.

(the next 2 are in currently being developed)

2. Storage flavors: It'll allow users to choose on which storage type
a queue should be created based on their "queue needs". For example, a
high-throughput queue would likely go to a store like rabbitmq whereas
a "volatile" queue could be kept in redis.

3. Queue's migrations: It'll allow users to migrate queues from one
store to another. During the first release, we're targeting migrations
between stores of the same type - rabbit->rabbit, mongodb->mongodb -
but we'll likely add support to cross-type migrations too. Just
playing safe.

Flavio

--
@flaper87