[openstack-dev] [nova] Arbitrary "extra specs" for compute nodes?

Joe Cropper cropper.joe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:38:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Day, Phil <philip.day at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>

> Can you give some examples of what that data would be used for ?

Sure!  For example, in the PowerKVM world, hosts can be dynamically
configured to run in split-core processor mode.  This setting can be
dynamically changed and it'd be nice to allow the driver to track this
somehow -- and it probably doesn't warrant its own explicit field in
compute_node.  Likewise, PowerKVM also has a concept of the maximum
SMT level in which its guests can run (which can also vary dynamically
based on the split-core setting) and it would also be nice to tie such
settings to the compute node.

Overall, this would give folks writing compute drivers the ability to
attach the "extra spec" style data to a compute node for a variety of
purposes -- two simple examples provided above, but there are many
more.  :-)

> It sounds on the face of it that what you’re looking for is pretty similar
> to what Extensible Resource Tracker sets out to do
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/86050
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/71557)

Thanks for pointing this out.  I actually ran across these while I was
searching the code to see what might already exist in this space.
Actually, the compute node 'stats' was always a first guess, but these
are clearly heavily reserved for the resource tracker and wind up
getting purged/deleted over time since the 'extra specs' I reference
above aren't necessarily tied to the spawning/deleting of instances.
In other words, they're not really consumable resources, per-se.
Unless I'm overlooking a way (perhaps I am) to use this
extensible-resource-tracker blueprint for arbitrary key-value pairs
**not** related to instances, I think we need something additional?

I'd happily create a new blueprint for this as well.