[openstack-dev] use of the word certified

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 19:23:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 13:29 -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
> The issue I have with the word certify is that it requires someone or a
> group of someones to attest to something. The thing attested to is only
> as credible as the someone or the group of someones doing the attesting.
> We have no process, nor do I feel we want to have a process for
> evaluating the reliability of the somones or groups of someones doing
> the attesting.
>
> I think that having testing in place in line with other programs testing
> of patches (third party ci) in cinder should be sufficient to address
> the underlying concern, namely reliability of opensource hooks to
> proprietary code and/or hardware. I would like the use of the word
> "certificate" and all its roots to no longer be used in OpenStack
> programs with regard to testing. This won't happen until we get some
> discussion and agreement on this, which I would like to have.

Thanks for bringing this up Anita. I agree that "certified driver" or
similar would suggest something other than I think we mean.

And, for whatever its worth, the topic did come up at a Foundation board
meeting and some board members expressed similar concerns, although I
guess that was more precisely about the prospect of the Foundation
calling drivers "certified".

Mark.