[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Consistency around proposed server instance tagging API

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 00:21:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stackers,
>
> I'm looking to get consensus on a proposed API for server instance tagging
> in Nova:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91444/
>
> In the proposal, the REST API for the proposed server instance tagging
> looks like so:
>
> Remove a tag on a server:
>
> DELETE /v2/{project_id}/servers/{server_id}/tags/{tag}
>
> It is this last API call that has drawn the attention of John Garbutt
> (cc'd). In Glance v2 API, if you attempt to delete a tag that does not
> exist, then a 404 Not Found is returned. In my proposal, if you attempt to
> delete a tag that does not exist for the server, a 204 No Content is
> returned.

I think attempting to delete a tag that doesn't exist should return a 404.
The user can always ignore the error if they know there's a
chance that the tag they want to get rid of doesn't exist. But for those
that believe it should exist its an error is more useful to them as
it may be an indicator that something is wrong with their logic.

Chris