[openstack-dev] [Spam] [heat] Resource action API

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jun 4 07:09:39 UTC 2014

Excerpts from yang zhang's message of 2014-06-04 00:01:41 -0700:

> Hi all,   Now heat only supports suspending/resuming a whole stack, all the resources of the stack will be suspended/resumed,but sometime we just want to suspend or resume only a part of resources in the stack, so I think adding resource-action API for heat isnecessary. this API will be helpful to solve 2 problems:    - If we want to suspend/resume the resources of the stack, you need to get the phy_id first and then call the API of other services, and this won't update the statusof the resource in heat, which often cause some unexpected problem.    - this API could offer a turn on/off function for some native resources, e.g., we can turn on/off the autoscalinggroup or a single policy with the API, this is like the suspend/resume services feature[1] in AWS.   I registered a bp for it, and you are welcome for discussing it.        https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/resource-action-api
> [1]  http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AutoScaling/latest/DeveloperGuide/US_SuspendResume.html
> Regards!Zhang Yang

Hi zhang. I'd rather we model the intended states of each resource, and
ensure that Heat can assert them. Actions are tricky things to model.

So if you want your nova server to be stopped, how about

resources:
  server1:
    type: OS::Nova::Server
    properties:
      flavor: superbig
      image: TheBestOS
      state: STOPPED

We don't really need to model "actions" then, just the API's we have
available.