[openstack-dev] [all] How to get testr to failfast

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 10:16:36 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Thu, 2014-07-31 at 10:45 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
> One of the things I like to be able to do when in the middle of making
> changes is sometimes run all the tests to make sure I haven't accidentally
> caused some unexpected damage in the neighborhood. If I have I don't
> want the tests to all run, I'd like to exit on first failure.

This makes even more sense, if you _know_ that you've broken a lot of
things and want to deal with it case-by-case. At least for me it's more
convenient, I believe many will prefer getting all the errors at once.

>  This
> is a common feature in lots of testrunners but I can't seem to find
> a way to make it happen when testr is integrated with setuptools.
>
> Any one know a way?
>
> There's this:
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/testrepository/+bug/1211926
>
> But it is not clear how or where to effectively pass the right argument,
> either from the command line or in tox.ini.
>
> Even if you don't know a way, I'd like to hear from other people who
> would like it to be possible. It's one of several testing habits I
> have from previous worlds that I'm missing and doing a bit of
> commiseration would be a nice load off.

It would be my 2nd wanted feature in our test system (after getting
reasonable error message (at least not binary) in case of import
errors :)