[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Generate Event or Notification in Ceilometer

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jul 30 14:45:44 UTC 2014

If all you want to do is publish a notification you can use oslo.messaging directly. Or, for something lighter weight, we have Notabene, which is a small wrapper on Kombu.

An example of how our notification simulator/generator uses it is available here:
https://github.com/StackTach/notigen/blob/master/bin/event_pump.py

Of course, you'll have to ensure you fabricate a proper event payload.

Hope it helps
-S

________________________________
From: Duan, Li-Gong (Gary at HPServers-Core-OE-PSC) [li-gong.duan at hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:05 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Generate Event or Notification in Ceilometer

Hi Folks,

Are there any guide or examples to show how to produce a new event or notification add add a handler for this event in ceilometer?

I am asked to implement OpenStack service monitoring which will send an event and trigger the handler once a service, say nova-compute, crashes, in a short time. :(
The link (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/events.html) does a good job on the explanation of concept and hence I know that I need to emit notification to message queue and ceilometer-collector will process them and generate events but it is far from real implementations.

Regards,
Gary