[openstack-dev] [ALL] Removing the tox==1.6.1 pin

Michele Paolino m.paolino at virtualopensystems.com
Wed Jul 30 09:27:26 UTC 2014

On 30/07/2014 07:53, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 7/25/2014 2:38 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The recent release of tox 1.7.2 has fixed the {posargs} interpolation
>> issues we had with newer tox which forced us to be pinned to tox==1.6.1.
>> Before we can remove the pin and start telling people to use latest tox
>> we need to address a new default behavior in tox.
>>
>> New tox sets a random PYTHONHASHSEED value by default. Arguably this is
>> a good thing as it forces you to write code that handles unknown hash
>> seeds, but unfortunately many projects' unittests don't currently deal
>> with this very well. A work around is to hard set a PYTHONHASHSEED of 0
>> in tox.ini files. I have begun to propose these changes to the projects
>> that I have tested and found to not handle random seeds. It would be
>> great if we could get these reviewed and merged so that infra can update
>> the version of tox used on our side.
>>
>> I probably won't be able to test every single project and propose fixes
>> with backports to stable branches for everything. It would be a massive
>> help if individual projects tested and proposed fixes as necessary too
>> (these changes will need to be backported to stable branches). You can
>> test by running `tox -epy27` in your project with tox version 1.7.2. If
>> that fails add PYTHONHASHSEED=0 as in
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/109700/ and rerun `tox -epy27` to
>> confirm that succeeds.
>>
>> This will get us over the immediate hump of the tox upgrade, but we
>> should also start work to make our tests run with random hashes. This
>> shouldn't be too hard to do as it will be a self gating change once
>> infra is able to update the version of tox used in the gate. Most of the
>> issues appear related to dict entry ordering. I have gone ahead and
>> created https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1348818 to track this
>> work.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Clark

> Is this in any way related to the fact that tox is unable to
> find/install the oslo alpha packages for me in nova right now (config,
> messaging, rootwrap) after I rebased on master?  I had to go into
> requirements.txt and remove the min versions on the alpha versions to
> get tox to install dependencies for nova unit tests. I'm running with
> tox 1.6.1 but not sure if that would be related anyhow.

Problem confirmed from my side. The error is:
Downloading/unpacking oslo.config>=1.4.0.0a3 (from -r
/media/repos/nova/requirements.txt (line 34))
   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
oslo.config>=1.4.0.0a3 (from -r /media/repos/nova/requirements.txt (line
34)) (from versions: 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.3.0)

--
Michele Paolino