[openstack-dev] [heat] Stack update and raw_template backup

Anant Patil anant.patil at hp.com
Wed Jul 30 06:21:05 UTC 2014

On 28-Jul-14 22:37, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-07-28 07:25:24 -0700:
>> On 26/07/14 00:04, Anant Patil wrote:
>>> When the stack is updated, a diff of updated template and current
>>> template can be stored to optimize database.  And perhaps Heat should
>>> have an API to retrieve this history of templates for inspection etc.
>>> when the stack admin needs it.
>>
>> If there's a demand for that feature we could implement it, but it
>> doesn't easily fall out of the current implementation any more.
>
> We are never going to do it even 1/10th as well as git. In fact we won't
> even do it 1/0th as well as CVS.

Zane,
I am working the defect you had filed, which would clean up backup stack
along with the resources, templates and other data.

However, I simply don't want to delete the templates for the same reason
as we don't hard-delete the stack. Anyone who deploys a stack and
updates it over time would want to view the the updates in the templates
for debugging or auditing reasons. It is not fair to assume that every
user has a VCS with him to store the templates. It is kind of
inconvenience for me to not have the ability to view my updates in
templates.

We need not go as far as git or any VCS. Any library which can do a diff
and patch of text files can be used, like the google-diff-match-patch.

- Anant