[openstack-dev] [nova] bug discussion at mid cycle meet up

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 18:48:12 UTC 2014

On 07/29/2014 11:43 AM, Tracy Jones wrote:
> 3.  We have bugs that are really not bugs but features, or performance
> issues.  They really should be a BP not a bug, but we don’t want these
> things to fall off the radar so they are bugs… But we don’t really know
> what to do with them.  Should they be closed?  Should they have a
> different category – like feature request??  Perhaps they should just be
> wish list??

I don't think blueprint are appropriate for tracking requests.  They
should only be created when someone is proposing actually doing the work.

I think Wishlist is fine for keeping a list of requests.  That's what
I've been using it for.

> In generate we need to tighten up the definition of triaged and
> confirmed.  Bugs should move from New -> Confirmed -> Triaged -> In
> Progress.  JayPipes has updated the wiki to clarify this.
>
>   * Confirmed means someone has looked at the bug, saw there was enough
>     into to start to diagnose, and agreed it sounds like a bug.
>   * Triaged means someone has analyzed the bug and can propose a
>     solution (not necessarily a patch).  If the person is not going to
>     fix it, they should update the bug with the proposal and move the
>     bug into Triaged.

We should be careful not to conflict with the guidelines set for all
OpenStack projects here:

   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugTriage

For example, that page says when a bug should be set to Confirmed or
Triaged.  In most cases, it's Confirmed.  Triage is when there is a
known solution.

--
Russell Bryant