[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Managing change in gerrit which depends on multiple other changes in review

Evgeny Fedoruk EvgenyF at Radware.com
Tue Jul 29 13:12:41 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I'm working on a change for neutron LBaaS service.
Since there is a massive work done for LBaaS these days, my change depends on other changes being reviewed in parallel in gerrit.
I don't have a big git knowledge and I'm failing in figuring out the right procedure that should be followed for managing such a multi-dependent patch.
So, I sending my question to you guys, in hope to find the right way to manage such patches in gerrit.

Here is the situation:
There are 4 patches on review in gerrit

1.       A - No dependencies

2.       B - Depends on A

3.       C - Depends on A

4.       D - No dependencies

My change, let's call it "X", is already on review in gerrit.
It should depend on all four other changes, A, B, C and D.

I tried to two ways of managing those dependencies, 1) by doing a cherry-pick for each one of them, and 2) by doing git review and git rebase for each one of them.
It does not work for me well, my change commit message is replaced by other changes' commit messages and when I commit my patch, it commit's other changes patches too.

So, my question is:
Is this scenario supported by gerrit system?
If it does - what is the right procedure to follow in order to manage those dependencies
and how to rebase my change when some of dependencies was commited with a new patch to keep the dependencies up-to-date?

Thank you!
Evg