[openstack-dev] [nova] stable branches & failure to handle review backlog

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 10:33:35 UTC 2014

On 29/07/14 12:15, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Looking at the current review backlog I think that we have to
> seriously question whether our stable branch review process in
> Nova is working to an acceptable level
>
> On Havana
>
>   - 43 patches pending
>   - 19 patches with a single +2
>   - 1 patch with a -1
>   - 0 patches wit a -2
>   - Stalest waiting 111 days since most recent patch upload
>   - Oldest waiting 250 days since first patch upload
>   - 26 patches waiting more than 1 month since most recent upload
>   - 40 patches waiting more than 1 month since first upload
>
> On Icehouse:
>
>   - 45 patches pending
>   - 17 patches with a single +2
>   - 4 patches with a -1
>   - 1 patch with a -2
>   - Stalest waiting 84 days since most recent patch upload
>   - Oldest waiting 88 days since first patch upload
>   - 10 patches waiting more than 1 month since most recent upload
>   - 29 patches waiting more than 1 month since first upload
>
> I think those stats paint a pretty poor picture of our stable branch
> review process, particularly Havana.
>
> It should not take us 250 days for our review team to figure out whether
> a patch is suitable material for a stable branch, nor should we have
> nearly all the patches waiting more than 1 month in Havana.
>
> These branches are not getting sufficient reviewer attention and we need
> to take steps to fix that.
>
> If I had to set a benchmark, assuming CI passes, I'd expect us to either
> approve or reject submissions for stable within a 2 week window in the
> common case, 1 month at the worst case.

Totally agreed.

> If we are trying to throttle down the rate of change in Havana, that
> totally makes sense, but we should be more active at rejecting patches
> if that is our current goal, not let them hang around in limbo for
> many months.

Tip: to be notified in time about new backport requests, you may add
those branches you're interested in to watched, in Gerrit, go to
Settings -> Watched Projects, and add whatever you like. Then you'll
receive emails for each backport request.

> I'm actually unclear on who even has permission to approve patches
> on stable branches ? Despite being in Nova core I don't have any perm
> to approve patches on stable. I think it is pretty odd that we've got a
> system where the supposed experts of the Nova team can't approve patches
> for stable. I get that we've probably got people on stable team who are
> not in core, but IMHO we should have the stable team comprising a superset
> of core, not a subset.

AFAIK stable team consists of project PTLs + people interested in stable
branches specifically (that got added to the team after their request).
Anyone can start reviewing the patches and ask to be added to the team.

I also think it's weird that project cores don't have +2 for stable
branches of their projects. They do not require global +2 for all stable
branches though.