[openstack-dev] [heat] Stack update and raw_template backup

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 14:25:24 UTC 2014

On 26/07/14 00:04, Anant Patil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When we do a stack update, I see that there are 2 copies of raw_template
> stored in database for each update. For n updates there are "2n + 1"
> entries of raw_template in database. Is this expected or is it a bug?
> When I dug more into it, I see that the deep copy of template is not
> copying the template.id resulting in it being stored when we do
> backup_stack.store and new_stack.store.

It's expected that we store 2 new templates, but the fact that we are
not deleting the backup stack's template and the stack's old template
after a successful update is a bug.

> Ideally, we should be keeping one copy of old template when the stack is
> updated. With this we have the history of templates updated over time.

With the changes that I made a few weeks ago, we now modify the existing
template during an update, so we wouldn't really have the history anyway.

> When the stack is updated, a diff of updated template and current
> template can be stored to optimize database.  And perhaps Heat should
> have an API to retrieve this history of templates for inspection etc.
> when the stack admin needs it.

If there's a demand for that feature we could implement it, but it
doesn't easily fall out of the current implementation any more.

cheers,
Zane.