[openstack-dev] [oslo.cfg] Dynamically load in options/groups values from the configuration files

Baohua Yang yangbaohua at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:12:31 UTC 2014

Dear all
    Thanks for all the responses!
    First, I threw the question actually wanting to hear other voices of
the similar requirements of dynamic parsing.
    Glad to get all supports and also questions.
    The scenario is that sometime we might define some groups in the config
file with changing names. One not appropriated example is that we add a
network element with properties as
    [xxx_box]
    property1=aaa
    property2=bbb

    In this case, the parser should automatically read in the xxx_box and
parses its properties, which would extend the power of the current config
lib.
    Although we can utilize explicit definitions of groups names in our
code to ignore uninterested groups in the configuration file, I think it
would be more flexible to keep the functionality to read in those undefined
groups.
    Now I am sure it's impossible to do so with existing olso.config lib.
    Thanks for all the feedbacks, and would like to get more comments on
whether we should implement this!

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 23, 2014, at 11:10 PM, Baohua Yang <yangbaohua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, all
>>      The current oslo.cfg module provides an easy way to load name known
>> options/groups from he configuration files.
>>       I am wondering if there's a possible solution to dynamically load
>> them?
>>
>>       For example, I do not know the group names (section name in the
>> configuration file), but we read the configuration file and detect the
>> definitions inside it.
>>
>> #Configuration file:
>> [group1]
>> key1 = value1
>> key2 = value2
>>
>>        Then I want to automatically load the group1. key1 and group2.
>> key2, without knowing the name of group1 first.
>>

>> If you don’t know the group name, how would you know where to look in the
>> parsed configuration for the resulting options?
>>

> I can imagine something like this:
> 1. iterate over undefined groups in config;
> 2. select groups of interest (e.g. by prefix or some regular expression);
> 3. register options in them;
> 4. use those options.
>
> Registered group can be passed to a plugin/library that would register its
> options in it.
>
> So the only thing that oslo.config lacks in its interface here is some way
> to allow the first step. The rest can be overcomed with some sugar.
>
> --
>
> Kind regards, Yuriy.

Best wishes!
Baohua