[openstack-dev] Mentor program?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Jul 25 18:34:54 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 11:02 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> I'll let Stefano answer further, but yes, we've discussed a centralized
> mentoring program for a year or so. I'm not sure we have enough mentors
> available, there are certainly plenty of people seeking and needing
> mentoring. So he can elaborate more on our current thinking of how we'd
> overcome the imbalance and get more centralized coordination in this area.

We've been talking for a while, we setup OPW and Google Summer of Code
at the moment as two opportunities to introduce new developers, mostly
young and at the beginning of their careers. Upstream Training is
another effort (BTW, we'll have it in Paris again, tripled the size to
~75 new students --full announcement next week).

We're lacking a more formal path to onboard new developers during the year.

I'd like to capitalize on this spur of enthusiasm and start collecting
volunteer mentors on a wiki page, like
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mentors, start it and add:

 - name
 - area of expertise (neutron, nova, etc)
 - availability (timezone, # of hours available per week)

I'll be back on Tuesday from a brief holiday, we may dedicate some time
next week for more discussions.

Thanks,
Stef