[openstack-dev] Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 14:01:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 02:39:47PM -0700, James E. Blair wrote:
<snip>
>   * Put the burden for a bunch of these tests back on the projects as
>     "functional" tests. Basically a custom devstack environment that a
>     project can create with a set of services that they minimally need
>     to do their job. These functional tests will live in the project
>     tree, not in Tempest, so can be atomically landed as part of the
>     project normal development process.

+1 - FWIW I don't think the current process where we require tempest
cores to review our project test cases is working well, so allowing
projects to own their own tests will be a major improvement.

In terms of how this works in practice, will the in-tree tests still be run
via tempest, e.g will there be a (relatively) stable tempest api we can
develop the tests against, as Angus has already mentioned?

Steve