[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Spec freeze exception] Support Stateful and Stateless DHCPv6 by dnsmasq

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Fri Jul 25 01:46:11 UTC 2014

Collins, Sean wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:06:06AM EDT, Xu Han Peng wrote:
>> I would like to request one Juno Spec freeze exception for "Support Stateful
>> and Stateless DHCPv6 by dnsmasq" BP.
>>
>> The spec is under review:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/102411/
>>
>> Code change for this BP is submitted as well for a while:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/106299/

>I'd like to +1 this request, if this work landed in Juno, this would
>mean Neutron would have 100% support for all IPv6 subnet attribute
>settings, since slaac support landed in J-2.

+1 on this from me too. It's getting more and more difficult to keep
claiming OpenStack will have IPv6 "any day now" and not having it
in Juno will hurt credibility a lot.

IPv4 address space is basically gone. AT&T has a fair amount of it
but even we're feeling the pinch. A lot of companies have it worse.
NAT is a mediocre stop-gap at best.
We've been running IPv6 in production for well over a year.

Our pre-OpenStack environments support IPv6 where needed
even though we have a lot of IPv4 running where we aren't feeling
immediate pressure. We're having to turn internal applications away
from our OpenStack based cloud because they require IPv6 and we
can't provide it.

We're actively searching for workarounds but none of them are
attractive.