[openstack-dev] Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jul 24 10:28:03 UTC 2014

On 07/24/2014 06:06 AM, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for writing this summary, I like all those ideas and thanks working
> hard on fixing this.
>
>>   * For all non gold standard configurations, we'll dedicate a part of
>>     our infrastructure to running them in a continuous background loop,
>>     as well as making these configs available as experimental jobs. The
>>     idea here is that we'll actually be able to provide more
>>     configurations that are operating in a more traditional CI (post
>>     merge) context. People that are interested in keeping these bits
>>     functional can monitor those jobs and help with fixes when needed.
>>     The experimental jobs mean that if developers are concerned about
>>     the effect of a particular change on one of these configs, it's easy
>>     to request a pre-merge test run.  In the near term we might imagine
>>     this would allow for things like ceph, mongodb, docker, and possibly
>>     very new libvirt to be validated in some way upstream.
>
> What about external CI ? is external CI would need to be post merge or
> still stay as is ? what would be the difference between external CI
> plugging on review changes and post CI merges?

External CI is *really* supposed to be for things that Infrastructure
can't or won't run (for technical or policy reasons). VMWare isn't open
source, so that would always need to be outside of infra. Xen is
something that there remains technical challenges on to get working in
infra, but I think everyone would like to see it there eventually.

Overall capacity and randomness issues means we can't do all these
configs in a pre-merge context. But moving to a fixed capacity post
merge world means we could create a ton of test data for these
configurations.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague