[openstack-dev] [heat] health maintenance in autoscaling groups

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 24 03:14:58 UTC 2014

Stephen Balukoff <sbalukoff at bluebox.net> wrote on 07/23/2014 09:14:35 PM:

> It's probably worth pointing out that most of the Neutron LBaaS team
> are spending most of our time doing a major revision to Neutron
> LBaaS. How stats processing should happen has definitely been
> discussed but not resolved at present-- and in any case it was
> apparent to those working on the project that it has secondary
> importance compared to the revision work presently underway.
>
> I personally would like to have queries about most objects in the
> stats API to Neutron LBaaS return a dictionary or

I presume you meant "of" rather than "or".

>                                                   statuses for child
> objects which then a UI or auto-scaling system can interpret however
> it wishes.

That last part makes me a little nervious.  I have seen "can interpret
however it wishes" mean "can not draw any useful inferences because there
are no standards for that content".

I presume that as the grand and glorious future arrives, it will be with
due respect for backwards compatibility.

In the present, I am getting what appears to be conflicting information on
the status field of the responses of
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/GET_showMember__v2.0_pools__pool_id__members__member_id__lbaas_ext_ops_member.html

Doug Wiegely wrote
> ‘status’ in the neutron database is configuration/provisioning status,
not operational status
and listed the possible values of the status field, including "INACTIVE".
Other sources are telling me that status=INACTIVE when the health monitor
thinks the member is unhealthy, status!=INACTIVE when the health monitor
thinks the member is healthy.  What's going on here?

Thanks,
Mike