[openstack-dev] Mentor program?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 23 18:02:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was reading over a IMHO insightful hacker news thread last night:

> Labeled/titled: 'I made a patch for Mozilla, and you can do it too'
>
> It made me wonder what kind of mentoring support are we as a community
> offering to newbies (a random google search for 'openstack mentoring' shows
> mentors for GSoC, mentors for interns, outreach for women... but no mention
> of mentors as a way for everyone to get involved)?
>
> Looking at the comments in that hacker news thread, the article itself it
> seems like mentoring is stressed over and over as the way to get involved.
>
> Has there been ongoing efforts to establish such a program (I know there
> is training work that has been worked on, but that's not exactly the same).
>
> Thoughts, comments...?

I'll let Stefano answer further, but yes, we've discussed a centralized
mentoring program for a year or so. I'm not sure we have enough mentors
available, there are certainly plenty of people seeking and needing
mentoring. So he can elaborate more on our current thinking of how we'd
overcome the imbalance and get more centralized coordination in this area.

Thanks,
Anne