[openstack-dev] [Trove] Guest prepare call polling mechanism issue

Tim Simpson tim.simpson at rackspace.com
Wed Jul 23 16:33:44 UTC 2014

To summarize, this is a conversation about the following LaunchPad bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/1325512
and Gerrit review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/97194/6

You are saying the function "_service_is_active" in addition to polling the datastore service status also polls the status of the Nova resource. At first I thought this wasn't the case, however looking at your pull request I was surprised to see on line 320 (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/97194/6/trove/taskmanager/models.py) polls Nova using the "get" method (which I wish was called "refresh" as to me it sounds like a lazy-loader or something despite making a full GET request each time).
So moving this polling out of there into the two respective "create_server" methods as you have done is not only going to be useful for Heat and avoid the issue of calling Nova 99 times you describe but it will actually help operations teams to see more clearly that the issue was with a server that didn't provision. We actually had an issue in Staging the other day that took us forever to figure out because the server wasn't provisioning, but before anything checked that it was ACTIVE the DNS code detected the server had no ip address (never mind it was in a FAILED state) so the logs surfaced this as a DNS error. This change should help us avoid such issues.

Thanks,

Tim