[openstack-dev] [Murano] Image tagging

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 22 21:52:22 UTC 2014

How do you like alternate design: uses can chose any image he wants (say
any Linux) but the JSON that is in image tag has enough information on what
applications are installed on that image. And not just installed or not but
the exact state installation was frozen (say binaries are deployed but
config files are need to be modified). The deployment workflow can peak
that state from image tag and continue right from the place it was stopped
last time. So if user has chosen image with MySQL preinstalled the workflow
will just post-configure it while if the user chosen clean Linux image it
will do the whole deployment from scratch. Thus it will become only a
matter of optimization and user will still be able to to share instance for
several applications (good example is Firewall app) or deploy his app even
if there is no image where it was built in.

Those are only my thoughts and this need a proper design. For now I agree
that we need to improve tagging to support yours use case. But this need to
be done in a way that would allow both user and machine to work with. UI at
least needs to distinguish between Linux and Windows while for user a
free-form tagging may be appropriate. Both can be stored in a single JSON
tag.

So lets create blueprint/etherpad for this and both think on exact format
that can be implemented right now

Sincerely yours,
Stan Lagun
Principal Software Engineer @ Mirantis