[openstack-dev] [neutron] Add static routes on neutron router to devices in the external network

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:21:16 UTC 2014

The issue (if I understand your diagram correctly) is that the VPN GW
address is on the other side of your home router from the neutron router.
The nexthop address has to be an address on one of the subnets directly
attached to the router. In this topology, the static route should be on
your home router.

--
Kevin Benton

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Ricardo Carrillo Cruz <
ricardo.carrillo.cruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys
>
> I have the following network setup at home:
>
> [openstack instances] -> [neutron router] -> [  [home router] [vpn gw]   ]
>  TENANT NETWORK                                  EXTERNAL NETWORK
>
> I need my instances to connect to machines that are connected thru the vpn
> gw server.
> By default, all traffic that comes from openstack instances go thru the
> neutron router, and then hop onto the home router.
>
> I've seen there's an extra routes extension for neutron routers that would
> allow me to do that, but apparently I can't add extra routes to
> destinations in the external network, only subnets known by neutron.
> This can be seen from the neutron CLI command:
>
> <snip>
> neutron router-update <router name> --routes type=dict list=true
> destination=<network connected by VPN in CIDR>,nexthop=<vpn gw IP>
> Invalid format for routes: [{u'nexthop': u'<vpn gw IP>', u'destination':
> u'<network connected by VPN in CIDR>'}], the nexthop is not connected with
> router
> </snip>
>
> Is this use case not being possible to do at all?
>
> P.S.
> I found Heat BP
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/router-properties-object that
> in the description reads this can be done on Neutron, but can't figure out
> how.
>
> Regards

Kevin Benton