[openstack-dev] [gate] The gate: a failure analysis

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Jul 22 14:48:06 UTC 2014

On 07/21/2014 12:03 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Thanks Matthew for the analysis.
>
> I think you missed something though.
>
> Right now the frustration is that unrelated intermittent bugs stop your
> presumably good change from getting in.
>
> Without gating, the result would be that even more bugs, many of them not
> intermittent at all, would get in. Right now, the one random developer
> who has to hunt down the rechecks and do them is inconvenienced. But
> without a gate, _every single_ developer will be inconvenienced until
> the fix is merged.

The problem I see with this is that it's fundamentally not a fair system.

If someone is trying to fix a bug in the libvirt driver, it's wrong to
expect them to try to debug issues with neutron being unstable.  They
likely don't have the skillset to do it, and we shouldn't expect them to
do so.  It's a waste of developer time.

Chris