[openstack-dev] [Nova] Libvirt not migrating cdrom

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Tue Jul 22 10:36:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

Kicking open an old thread[0] about Libvirt not migrating cdrom
devices (config-drive) [0] with the attached LP bug[1].

It seems that the direction was to consider switching to vfat, as
libvirt supports this.  It isn't clear to me if the cdrom limitation
is specific to libvirt, nor if vfat could be made to work in windows
(seemed to imply there was a limitation).

I wanted to check if the reasoning for libvirt not allowing cdrom
migration had been considered?  Is it that libvirt blocks it, as it
'could' be a physical cdrom - rather than an iso?

It feels to me that pushing the fix down the stack into libvirt seems
like the correct solution?

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/027394.html
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1246201

--