[openstack-dev] [tc][rally] Application for a new OpenStack Program: Performance and Scalability
boris at pavlovic.me
Mon Jul 21 21:53:57 UTC 2014
Hi Stackers and TC,
The Rally contributor team would like to propose a new OpenStack program
with a mission to provide scalability and performance benchmarking, and
code profiling tools for OpenStack components.
We feel we've achieved a critical mass in the Rally project, with an
active, diverse contributor team. The Rally project will be the initial
project in a new proposed "Performance and Scalability" program.
Below, the details on our proposed new program.
Thanks for your consideration,
Performance and Scalability
Scalability benchmarking, performance analysis, and profiling of
OpenStack components and workloads
To increase the scalability and performance of OpenStack clouds by:
* defining standard benchmarks
* sharing performance data between operators and developers
* providing transparency of code paths through profiling tools
* Meeting logs http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/rally/2014/
* IRC channel: #openstack-rally
* Rally performance jobs are in (Cinder, Glance, Keystone & Neutron)
* > 950 commits over last 10 months
* Large, diverse contributor community
* Non official lead of project is Boris Pavlovic
* Official election In progress.
Critical deliverables in the Juno cycle are:
* extending Rally Benchmark framework to cover all use cases that are
required by all OpenStack projects
* integrating OSprofiler in all core projects
* increasing functional & unit testing coverage of Rally.
One of the major goals of Rally is to make it simple to share results of
standardized benchmarks and experiments between operators and
developers. When an operator needs to verify certain performance
indicators meet some service level agreement, he will be able to run
benchmarks (from Rally) and share with the developer community the
results along with his OpenStack configuration. These benchmark results
will assist developers in diagnosing particular performance and
scalability problems experienced with the operator's configuration.
Another interesting area is Rally & the OpenStack CI process. Currently,
working on performance issues upstream tends to be a more social than
technical process. We can use Rally in the upstream gates to identify
performance regressions and measure improvement in scalability over
time. The use of Rally in the upstream gates will allow a more rigorous,
scientific approach to performance analysis. In the case of an
integrated OSprofiler, it will be possible to get detailed information
about API call flows (e.g. duration of API calls in different services).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev