[openstack-dev] [Nova] So you want a spec freeze exception?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jul 17 22:44:23 UTC 2014

At our weekly nova meeting just now I promised that I'd send an email
here explaining our intentions with the spec freeze for juno.

The proposed process works like this, but is subject to change:

 - you request a spec freeze exception on the openstack-dev mailing
list. Please do this in the next 48 hours.

 - spec exceptions with sponsoring nova-cores will be given
preference. I'd like to see at least two cores sponsoring because then
they can drive the code review process, but if you don't have cores
yet you can still propose an extension to the list and see who
expresses interest.

 - the freeze will then be discussed by nova-core and nova-drivers. We
need to address several things here: how likely it is that the spec
will be approvable soon; whether landing the proposed code will be
disruptive to our juno release; and review bandwidth for the change.

 - if a freeze is granted, it will be in the form of a seven day grace
period to get the spec merged. This likely means a rapid iteration on
the spec to get it to somewhere there is consensus. You are therefore
agreeing to be available for rapid iteration on the spec.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we learn how this process works.
So far we've approved 85 specs for Juno, which I think is pretty
impressive.

Cheers,
Michael

--