[openstack-dev] [specs] how to continue spec discussion

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 09:25:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 03:30:56PM +0100, John Garbutt wrote:
> My intention was that once the specific project is open for K specs,
> people will restore their original patch set, and move the spec to the
> K directory, thus keeping all the history.
>
> For Nova, the open reviews, with a -2, are ones that are on the
> potential exception list, and so still might need some reviews. If
> they gain an exception, the -2 will be removed. The list of possible
> exceptions is currently included in bottom of this etherpad:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-juno-spec-priorities
>
> At some point we will open nova-specs for K, right now we are closed
> for all spec submissions. We already have more blueprints approved
> than we will be able to merge during the rest of Juno.
>
> The idea is that everyone can now focus more on fixing bugs, reviewing
> bug fixes, and reviewing remaining higher priority features, rather
> than reviewing designs for K features. It is syncing a lot of
> reviewers time looking at nova-specs, and it feels best to divert
> attention.
>
> We could leave the reviews open in gerrit, but we are trying hard to
> set expectations around the likelihood of being reviewed and/or
> accepted. In the past people have got very frustraighted and
> complained about not finding out about what is happening (or not) with
> what they have up for reviews.

The main thing I'd say in favour of allowing people to submit
Kxxxx^H^H^H^H^H Kilo specs now is that it gives everyone a good
heads up on what people are thinking about. We've had a number
of cases where people have basically been working on specs for
the same feature. If we don't open up Kilo specs now, people
will write their specs up & keep them private meaning there is
less opportunity for people to discover they are working on the
same problem. IMHO anything we can do to facilitate collaboration
and communication between people with interests in the same area
is worthwhile.

I agree though, that if we do allow Kilo specs now, we should
explicitly state that we will not be reviewing them yet. Perhaps
we could even add a boilerplate comment to Kilo specs that are
submitted before review period opens to this effect so that
people aren't disappointed by lack of formal review.

Regards,
Daniel