[openstack-dev] [heat] health maintenance in autoscaling groups

Doug Wiegley dougw at a10networks.com
Wed Jul 16 20:58:52 UTC 2014

On 7/16/14, 2:43 PM, "Clint Byrum" <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

>Excerpts from Mike Spreitzer's message of 2014-07-16 10:50:42 -0700:
>> Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 07/02/2014 01:54:49 PM:
>>
>> > Excerpts from Qiming Teng's message of 2014-07-02 00:02:14 -0700:

>> > functionality ---
>>abilityto
>> react
>>What
>> is
>>Since

>>China
>>for
>> > >

>> > Hm.. perhaps you should be contributing some reviews here as you may
>> > have some real insight:
>> >
>> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100012/
>> >
>> > This sounds a lot like what we're working on for continuous
>>convergence.
>>
>> I noticed that health checking in AWS goes beyond convergence.  In AWS
>>an
>> ELB can be configured with a URL to ping, for application-level health
>> checking.  And an ASG can simply be *told* the health of a member by a
>> user's own external health system.  I think we should have analogous
>> functionality in OpenStack.  Does that make sense to you?  If so, do
>>you
>> have any opinion on the right way to integrate, so that we do not have
>> three completely independent health maintenance systems?
>
>The check url is already a part of Neutron LBaaS IIRC. What may not be
>a part is notifications for when all members are reporting down (which
>might be something to trigger scale-up).

You do recall correctly, and there are currently no mechanisms for
notifying anything outside of the load balancer backend when the health
monitor/member state changes.

There is also currently no way for an external system to inject health
information about an LB or its members.

Both would be interesting additions.

doug