[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:27:01 UTC 2014

On Jul 16, 2014, at 8:28 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:12:47AM -0700, Clark Boylan wrote:
>
>> I am worried that we would just regress to the current process because
>> we have tried something similar to this previously and were forced to
>> regress to the current process.
>
> IMHO the longer we wait between updating the gate to new versions
> the bigger the problems we create for ourselves. eg we were switching
> from 0.9.8 released Dec 2011, to  1.1.1 released Jun 2013, so we
> were exposed to over 1 + 1/2 years worth of code churn in a single
> event. The fact that we only hit a couple of bugs in that, is actually
> remarkable given the amount of feature development that had gone into
> libvirt in that time. If we had been tracking each intervening libvirt
> release I expect the majority of updates would have had no ill effect
> on us at all. For the couple of releases where there was a problem we
> would not be forced to rollback to a version years older again, we'd
> just drop back to the previous release at most 1 month older.

This is a really good point. As someone who has to deal with packaging
issues constantly, it is odd to me that libvirt is one of the few places
where we depend on upstream packaging. We constantly pull in new python
dependencies from pypi that are not packaged in ubuntu. If we had to
wait for packaging before merging the whole system would grind to a halt.

I think we should be updating our libvirt version more frequently vy
installing from source or our own ppa instead of waiting for the ubuntu
team to package it.

Vish