[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor framework proposal

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 15 21:07:28 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

So, as was discussed, existing proposal has some aspects which better to be
postponed, like extension list on the flavor (instead of tags).
Particularly that idea has several drawbacks:
 - it makes public API inflexible
 - turning features on/off is not what flavors should be doing, it's a task
for policy framework and not flavors
 - flavor-based rest call dispatching is quite complex solution giving no
benefits for service plugins
While this is not explicitly written in proposal - that's what implied
there.
I think that one is a major blocker of the proposal right now, it deserves
future discussion and not essential to the problem flavors are supposed to
solve.
Other than that, I personally don't have much disagreements on the proposal.

The question about service type on the flavor is minor IMO. We can allow it
to be NULL, which would mean multiservice flavor.
However, multiservice flavors may put some minor requirements to driver API
(that's mainly because of how flavor plugin interacts with service plugins)

Thanks,
Eugene.