[openstack-dev] Can not create cinder volume

Johnson Cheng Johnson.Cheng at QsanTechnology.com
Tue Jul 15 10:59:19 UTC 2014

Dear Duncan,

Thanks for your reply.
My rootwrap.conf is correct, but I find there is a garbage file at /etc/cinder/rootwrap.d/ folder.
When I remove it, everything is right.

May I ask you another question that how cinder choose volume node to create volume if I have multi volume nodes?
For example,
when controller node and compute node are alive, the volume will be created at compute node.
When I shutdown compute node, the volume will be created at controller node.
How can I create volume at compute node when both controller node and compute node are alive?

Regards,
Johnson

From: Duncan Thomas [mailto:duncan.thomas at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:51 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Can not create cinder volume

On 15 July 2014 08:24, Johnson Cheng <Johnson.Cheng at qsantechnology.com<mailto:Johnson.Cheng at qsantechnology.com>> wrote:

I have two questions here,

1.      It still has “Error encountered during initialization of driver: LVMISCSIDriver” error message in cinder-volume.log, how to fix this issue?

2.      From cinder-scheduler.log, it shows “volume service is down or disabled. (host: Compute)”. How can I modify cinder.conf to create cinder volume at controller node?

The good news is that you only have one problem. The driver not being initialized means that that cinder-volume service never signs on with the scheduler, so is never eligible to create volumes.

The problem you need to fix is this one:
2014-07-15 15:01:59.147 13901 TRACE cinder.volume.manager Stderr: 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/usr/bin/cinder-rootwrap", line 10, in <module>\n    sys.exit(main())\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/rootwrap/cmd.py", line 107, in main\n    filters = wrapper.load_filters(config.filters_path)\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/rootwrap/wrapper.py", line 119, in load_filters\n    for (name, value) in filterconfig.items("Filters"):\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 347, in items\n    raise NoSectionError(section)\nConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: \'Filters\'\n'

It looks like the config file /etc/cinder/rootwrap.conf has become corrupted on one node - can you compare this file between the working and not working node and see if there are any differences?