[openstack-dev] [nova][vmware] Convert to rescue by adding the rescue image and booting from it

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 16:48:02 UTC 2014

On 14/07/14 16:25, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I think that I'd probably say there is an expectation that the rescue
>> image will be different from the primary image the OS was booted from.
>
> So every image would now need a corresponding rescue image?

My original comment was on the current state of affairs. If re-using the
existing image as a rescue image works for you, there's no reason to
change that. However, I observed in my testing that it's not a terribly
good idea for the reasons I outlined.

If you want to move away from that, though, I believe you could create a
generic rescue image which would be good for most/all Linux instances at
the very least. In fact, there are plenty of examples of generic rescue
images out there already.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490