[openstack-dev] [oslo] Asyncio and oslo.messaging

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 14:22:49 UTC 2014

On Jul 14, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> The point of eventlet, I thought, was to hide the low-level stuff so that developers could focus on higher-level (and more productive) abstractions. Introducing asyncio contructs into the higher level code like Nova and Neutron seems to be a step in the wrong direction, IMHO. I'd rather see a renewed focus on getting Taskflow incorporated into Nova.

There’s a contingent that disagrees that “hiding low-level stuff” in the case of context switching at the point of IO (and in the case of other things too) is a good thing.   It’s a more fundamental argument that drives the push towards explicit async.    In some of my ahem discussions on twitter about this, I’ve tried to compare such discomfort with that of Python’s GC firing off at implicit moments, why aren’t they uncomfortable with that?   But it’s twitter so by that time the discussion is all over the place.