[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Sat Jul 12 03:45:36 UTC 2014

On 7/11/14, 11:26 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> Yep, couldn't agree more.
>
> Frankly, the steps you outline in the wiki above are excellent
> examples of where we can make significant gains in both performance
> and scalability. In addition to those you listed, the underlying
> database schemas themselves, with the excessive use of large VARCHAR
> fields, BLOB fields for JSONified values, and the general bad strategy
> of bunching heavily-read fields with infrequently-read fields in the
> same tables, are also a source of poor overall database performance.
Well the topic of schema modifications I actually left out of that
document entirely for starters - I made a conscious choice to focus
entirely on things that don't involve any apps changing any of their
fundamental approaches or schemas...at least just yet! :)    I'm hoping
that as oslo.db improves and the patterns start to roll out, we can
start working on schema design too.    Because yeah I've seen the giant
lists of VARCHAR everything and just said, OK well we're going to have
to get to that..just not right now :).