[openstack-dev] [nova] Live migration objects

jswarren at linux.vnet.ibm.com jswarren at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 11 18:48:03 UTC 2014

I'm contemplating how to fix
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1339823 and it seems that a part
of the fix would be to track the state of live migrations in the
database, more or less the same way that cold migrations are tracked.
The thinking is that the logic could retrieve information about the
live migration (particularly its state) and act accordingly, again
similar to how incomplete cold migrations are handled during host
initialization.  I have been looking through the relevant code history
and I can't find any information about why live migrations are not
tracked in the database while cold migrations are.  In any case,
before I start writing a bunch of code, I was wondering whether others
agree that tracking live migrations in the database seems like a
reasonable approach and if so, whether existing Migration objects
should be used for this purpose or if a new type (e.g. LiveMigration)
should be introduced instead.  I'm thinking the former approach would
entail adding a flag to the existing Migration type to indicate the
migration type (cold vs. live); although arguably less invasive, using
this approach might break existing functionality that retrieves
migration information.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John