[openstack-dev] [cinder][replication-api] extra_specs too constant

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Fri Jul 11 13:10:33 UTC 2014

I think that "extra_specs" in the database is too static, too hard to
change.

In the case of eg. DRBD, where many nodes may provide some storage space, the
list "replication_partners" is likely to change often, even if only newly
added nodes have to be done[1]

This means that
  a) the admin has to add each node "manually"
  b) volume_type_extra_specs:value is a VARCHAR(255), which can only provide
	 a few host names. (With FQDN even more so.)

What if the list of hosts would be matched by each one saying "I'm product XYZ
version compat N-M" (eg. via get_volume_stats), and all nodes that report
the same product with an overlapping version range are considered eligible
for replication?

Furthermore, "replication_rpo_range" might depend on other circumstances
too... if the network connection to the second site is heavily loaded, the
RPO will vary, too - from a few seconds to a few hours.

So, should we announce a range of (0,7200)?

Ad 1: because Openstack sees by itself which nodes are available.

--
: Ing. Philipp Marek
: DRBD/HA support and consulting                 http://www.linbit.com :