[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 12:04:23 UTC 2014

On 09/07/14 13:17, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Multiple projects are suffering from db lock timeouts due to
> deadlocks deep in mysqldb library that we use to interact with
> mysql servers. In essence, the problem is due to missing eventlet
> support in mysqldb module, meaning when a db lock is encountered,
> the library does not yield to the next green thread, allowing other
> threads to eventually unlock the grabbed lock, and instead it just
> blocks the main thread, that eventually raises timeout exception
> (OperationalError).
>
> The failed operation is not retried, leaving failing request not
> served. In Nova, there is a special retry mechanism for deadlocks,
> though I think it's more a hack than a proper fix.
>
> Neutron is one of the projects that suffer from those timeout
> errors a lot. Partly it's due to lack of discipline in how we do
> nested calls in l3_db and ml2_plugin code, but that's not something
> to change in foreseeable future, so we need to find another
> solution that is applicable for Juno. Ideally, the solution should
> be applicable for Icehouse too to allow distributors to resolve
> existing deadlocks without waiting for Juno.
>
> We've had several discussions and attempts to introduce a solution
> to the problem. Thanks to oslo.db guys, we now have more or less
> clear view on the cause of the failures and how to easily fix them.
> The solution is to switch mysqldb to something eventlet aware. The
> best candidate is probably MySQL Connector module that is an
> official MySQL client for Python and that shows some (preliminary)
> good results in terms of performance.

I've made additional testing, creating 2000 networks in parallel (10
thread workers) for both drivers and comparing results.

With mysqldb: 215.81 sec
With mysql-connector: 88.66

~2.4 times performance boost, ok? ;)

I think we should switch to that library *even* if we forget about all
the nasty deadlocks we experience now.