[openstack-dev] [trove] Discussion of capabilities feature

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:18:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Nikhil Manchanda <nikhil at manchanda.me>
wrote:

> Joe Gordon writes:
>
> > [...]
> >> This sounds very similar to the v3/v2.1 discussion happening in nova.
> All
> >> OpenStack projects need to address these issues and it would be a shame
> if
> >> each project chose a different solution, perhaps this is a good topic
> for
> >> the TC to help tackle? As having different solutions across OpenStack
> will
> >> result in a non-cohesive user experience.
> >
> > After further thought, instead of the TC this would make a great general
> ML
> > thread topic.
> >
> > In addition to solving this in trove and nova, neutron is looking into
> this
> > as well.
> >

> Just wanted to follow up on this. Are the requirements for capabilities
> in nova and neutron detailed out in a spec somewhere? I'd like to take a
> look at it to understand the use-cases. Just to provide some context,
> the initial P0 use case for having a capabilities API in trove was to
> expose deployment and datastore specific configs via the API so that
> horizon could enable options corresponding to these capabilities in the
> appropriate trove panels.

Nova supports listing extensions (
http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.html) but we don't have a
good way of showing what features a backed supports today. And I am not
aware of a good doc on the latest on nova. But I do know that we have the
same general problem as trove. As for neutron I will let a neutron dev
comment on that.