[openstack-dev] [nova] tox.ini ignores are TODOs?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jul 10 16:02:11 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 11:46 AM, Moore, Ryan wrote:
> Hi
>

> tox.ini has the line # The rest of the ignores are TODOs
>
> How serious are we about getting rid of these ignores?
>

> Is it valid to -1 a patch that does not pass an ignored rule? E.g. E121
> indentation is not a multiple of four
>

> If a patch is submitted that does not pass a currently ignored rule,
> then this means that we are getting further away from enabling this
> rule. As not only do we have to fix the existing lines breaking the
> rules, but the newly submitted lines as well.
>

> What do you think?
>

> Ryan

-1ing people for non enforced rules is *bad*. It's fine to point out
'nit: would be better if you did x' in case they are respining for other
reasons. If there is something completely egregious that makes things
unreadable, that's different.

There are far too many patches getting trapped behind pretty useless -1
reviews that provide no value (style reviews only). I know people think
they are helping, but those really aren't.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net