[openstack-dev] [Containers] Nova virt driver requirements

Dmitry Guryanov dguryanov at parallels.com
Thu Jul 10 13:57:46 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 08 July 2014 14:10:25 Michael Still wrote:
> Joe has a good answer, but you should also be aware of the hypervisor
> support matrix (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix),
> which hopefully comes some way to explaining what we expect of a nova
> driver.

I've seen this document. Honestly, its not clear, what nova driver developer
needs to implement.

For example, there are 3 rows with graphical consoles: VNC, spice and RDP. All
3 consoles do the same thing, so I think VNC console support is enough, am I
right?

Also I think networking support should include vif types, which driver
supports (VIF_TYPE_BRIDGE, VIF_TYPE_OVS, VIF_TYPE_IVS and others), and if a
drivers claims to support VIF_TYPE_OVS it means than it supports all features,
supported by openvswitch and ML2 neutron plugins (floating IPs, flat
networking, security groups, vlan networking).
So is it enough to implement OVS vif type?

> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2014 11:43 AM, "Dmitry Guryanov" <dguryanov at parallels.com>
wrote:
> >> Hi, All!
> >>
> >> As far as I know, there are some requirements, which virt driver must
> >> meet
> >> use Openstack 'label'. For example, it's not allowed to mount cinder
> >> volumes
> >> inside host OS.
> >
> > I am a little unclear on what your question is. If it is simply about the
> > OpenStack label then:
> >
> > 'OpenStack' is a trademark that is enforced by the OpenStack foundation.
> > You should check with the foundation to get a formal answer on commercial
> > trademark usage. (As an OpenStack developer, my personal view is having
> > out of tree drivers is a bad idea, but that decision isn't up to me.)
> >
> > If this is about contributing your driver to nova (great!), then this is
> > the right forum to begin that discussion. We don't have a formal list of
> > requirements for contributing new drivers to nova besides the need for CI
> > testing. If you are interested in contributing a new nova driver, can you
> > provide a brief overview along with your questions to get the discussion
> > started.
> >
> > Also there is an existing efforts to add container support into nova and I
> > hear they are making excellent progress; do you plan on collaborating with
> > those folks?
> >
> >> Are there any documents, describing all such things? How can I determine,
> >> if
> >> my virtualization driver for nova (developed outside of nova mainline)
> >> works
> >> correctly and meet nova's security requirements?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Dmitry Guryanov

Dmitry Guryanov