[openstack-dev] [TripleO] pypi-mirror is now unsupported - what do we do now?

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:07:37 UTC 2014

On 10 July 2014 02:19, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 07/08/2014 11:05 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM, James Polley <jp at jamezpolley.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It may not have been clear from the below email, but clarkb clarifies on
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1294381 that the infra
> team
> >> is no longer maintaining pypi-mirror
> >>
> >> This has been a very useful tool for tripleo. It's much simpler for new
> >> developers to set up and use than a full bandersnatch mirror (and
> requires
> >> less disk space), and it can create a local cache of wheels which saves
> >> build time.
> >>
> >> But it's now unsupported.
> >>
> >> To me it seems like we have two options:
> >>
> >> A) Deprecate usage of pypi-mirror; update docs to instruct new devs in
> >> setting up a local bandersnatch mirror instead
> >> or
> >> B) Take on care-and-feeding of the tool.
> >> or, I guess,
> >> C) Continue to recommend people use an unsupported unmaintained
> >> known-buggy tool (it works reasonably well for us today, but it's going
> >> work less and less well as time goes by)
> >>
> >> Are there other options I haven't thought of?
> >>

> > I don't know if this fits your requirements but I use
> > http://doc.devpi.net/latest/quickstart-pypimirror.html for my
> development
> > needs.
>
> Will that also cache wheels?  In my experience, wheels are one of the
> big time savers in tripleo so I would consider it an important feature
> to maintain, however we decide to proceed.

Yes, devpi caches wheels.

I would suggest that if the pip cache approach isn't appropriate then devpi
probably a good solution (though I don't know your full requirements).

The big difference between using devpi and pip caching would be that devpi
will allow you to install packages when you're offline.

       Richard