[openstack-dev] Changing a tenant's flavor-access after instances exist?

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Wed Jul 9 21:41:21 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I have a situation where I previously granted a tenant access to flavor X.
At which point users launched instances based on that flavor. Now I am
removing the tenant from the flavor-access-list since I do not want users
to create any more instances using that flavor.

However, in Horizon, this results in many "Error: Unable to retrieve
instance size information." errors and users can no longer view those
instance's details: "Error: Unable to retrieve instance details for
instance <uuid>".

On the command line I can list those instances, but I cannot perform "nova
show" on them.

Is there a workaround here that would allow the instance to be visible but
prevent users from launching new instances?

If not, this is a pretty large usability hole. (Hi Devs!) :-)

Thanks,
~ Scott