[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][ironic][qa] Tempest+Ironic volume attachment tests

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Jul 9 20:58:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:58:27AM -0400, David Shrewsbury wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The ironic team is working on enabling the API tempest tests with ironic. However,
> ironic doesn’t yet completely support volume attachment, so the cinder api tests
> fail miserably (where attachment is needed).
>
> Proposed solutions are:
>
> 1) Disable cinder in devstack-gate when ironic is used.
>
> 2) Create a new “attach_volume” compute feature flag and check for it in the various
>     tempest tests (a grep for “attach_volume” in tempest shows several potentially
>     affected tests).
>
> It’s been suggested that since this is a feature listed in our hypervisor support
> matrix [1], then #2 might be the best option.
>
> Are there any preferences, or other suggestions, from the nova and QA folks?

So I'm inclined to say go with #1 in this case. If you're not doing volume
attach then there is no reason to run cinder in the gate with tempest. We get
the cinder API test coverage on every other job and it's not like work on ironic
where it doesn't touch cinder is going to break things. I really don't see a
case where having both cinder and nova enabled but no volume attach is useful
with tempest, because that's basically the integration point between the 2
projects.

The only downside to doing number 1 is that there will be a chicken and egg
problem when you go to finish the ironic cinder support. But, that's easily
solved with a throwaway patch which will run with the ironic cinder support
patch and the tests with cinder enabled.

-Matt Treinish