[openstack-dev] [nova] fastest way to run individual tests ?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 9 20:51:00 UTC 2014

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:07:37AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On 06/12/2014 06:59 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any tip on how to actually run individual tests in an
>>> efficient manner. ie something that adds no more than 1 second penalty
>>> over & above the time to run the test itself. NB, assume that i've primed
>>> the virtual env with all prerequisite deps already.
>>>

>> The overhead is in the fact that we have to discover the world, then
>> throw out the world.
>>
>> You can actually run an individual test via invoking the testtools.run
>> directly:
>>
>>> python -m testtools.run nova.tests.test_versions
>>
>> (Also, when testr explodes because of an import error this is about the
>> only way to debug what's going on).
>
> Most excellent, thankyou. I knew someone must know a way to do it :-)
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

I've been beating my head against the wall a bit on unit tests too this
week, and here is another tip that just uncovered something for me when
python -m testtools.run and nosetests didn't help.

I sourced the tox virtualenv and then ran the test from there, which
gave me the actual error, so something like this:

source .tox/py27/bin/activate
python -m testtools.run <test>

Props to Matt Odden for helping me with the source of the venv tip.

Matt Riedemann