[openstack-dev] [glance] tracebacks hidden in LOG.info

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jul 9 14:52:42 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 10:43 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 07/09/2014 04:12 PM, Sean Dague wrote:

>>> Thanks for spotting this and bringing it up. Did you file a bug for this
>>> issue?
>>
>> No. Glance has 246 open bugs, over 40% of which are in 'new' state. The
>> number of open bugs exceeds the # of patches landed so far in Juno by a
>> factor of 3 (and is only slightly less than the number of Glance changes
>> landed in Icehouse).
>>
>> Which means I assume the bug tracker is a black hole and will not result
>> in any action. Hence bringing it to the mailing list.
>
> It's not a black hole, there are folks that look at it.
>
> I know the status of Glance's bug tracker but regardless of it, I asked
> because I actually wanted to file one if you hadn't. There was no need
> to throw all these numbers in you email, which TBH are not an excuse for me.
>
> There's nothing bad with bringing things up to the mailing list but it
> will likely be forgotten unless someone does something immediately.

Sorry for over interpretting your response. I've had some frustration
recently with many projects that say 'file a bug', but it turns out
filing a bug doesn't actually get any results. If the only way to get
motion on a bug is to also send an email or find people on IRC, I'm not
convinced bugs should be filed by end users (I wonder if we could turn
them off). Because they are really task trackers for devs. It's a meta
issue though.

So to be clear, there is not a bug for the logging problem.

I did create https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1339735 for the
deadlock issue (which is the core failure), so that we could track it in
elastic recheck.

However the logging issue definitely made it harder to track down.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net