[openstack-dev] OpenStack and Python 3: python-memcached still the biggest blocker

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jul 9 09:31:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 09 2014, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> The thing is, having a lack of Python 3 support in python-memcached
> prevents from having python-keystoneclient to support Python 3, and as a
> consequence, about everything else in OpenStack.

The main problem I see here is that python-memcached has no unit tests,
so trying to port it to Python 3 is just going to be painful…

For future reference, I've switched to
https://github.com/pinterest/pymemcache for memcache under Python.
Better code, API, have unit tests and supports Python 3. I'd encourage
to migrate to this implementation.

Now that doesn't help you Thomas. But if I had to spend time and energy
helping you, that's more likely what I'd like to propose as a solution
rather than porting python-memcached to Python 3.

Do you know what tests fail exactly with keystoneclient? I'd imagine
it's something from oslo-incubator, I'm not sure keystoneclient uses
memcache directly. Maybe I can try to port that?

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker