[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jul 8 15:35:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2014-07-08 09:09:35 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>> You'll also need to modify cinder's tox.ini to set "sitepackages =
>> True" so the virtualenvs created for the unit tests can see the global
>> site-packages directory. Nova does the same thing for some of its
>> dependencies.
>
> Nova did this for python-libvirt I believe, but now that we finally
> have platforms with new-enough libvirt to support the split-out
> python-libvirt library on PyPI we can hopefully finally stop doing

OK, I wasn't aware of that change.

> this in master at least. I'm a little worried about taking on
> sitepackages=True in more projects given the headaches it causes
> (conflicts between versions in your virtualenv and system-installed
> python modules which happen to be dependencies of the operating
> system, for example the issues we ran into with Jinja2 on CentOS 6
> last year).
>
> It might be better to work with the python-dbus authors to get a
> pip-installable package released to PyPI, so that it can be included
> in the tox virtualenv (though for DevStack we'd still want to use
> distro packages instead of PyPI, I think).

I agree it would be better to have a pip-installable package. It's not
clear if the dbus-python authors care about that, but I think asking
them is the next step.

A search on PyPI shows a couple of packages that look like
alternatives, including at least one that claims to support
asynchronous I/O. If the dbus-python authors won't package their lib
for PyPI, we should consider looking at the other libraries more
closely.

Doug